Saturday, June 26, 2010

Drake’s Songwriting Tip: Use a BlackBerry

 

Image by Getty Images via DALLAS - FEBRUARY 12:  Rapper Drake poses duri...@daylife

Maybe it’s conducive to his rap style of music, but Toronto-born artist/musician/songwriter/actor, Drake, uses his BlackBerry to write his raps:

In this clip from the upcoming doc, Drake bops to the track Kanye West produced for "Show Me a Good Time" and then picks up a BlackBerry and starts punching out some rhymes.

"All Drake's raps for eternity have been written inside of a Blackberry," producer and engineer Noah "40" Shebib says in the clip. "I mean, to the point where if he doesn't have a BlackBerry, we gotta go get somebody who's got one. I've had dummy BlackBerrys around that I just pull out for him to write on, like if he needs one ... that don't actually even work!"

Drake cops to his need for a BlackBerry when working on his lyrics. "I can't write my raps on paper," Drake says. "The BlackBerry keys — my thumbs were made for touching them." The clip wraps up with Drizzy in the booth recording and referencing his lyrics on his trusty smartphone.

Hey, whatever works for you, I say… May the Muse be with him… I’m sure we’re going to see iPad and Android apps for songwriters at some point… (rhyming dictionaries and tab/chord software… hmmm, maybe I should get on that…)

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Use this banner code to link to our Lyricist product Free shipping on most orders over $49