I use Cakewalk Sonar 6, Studio Edition (though edition 7 is the current one), but I may take a look at this product: Reaper is getting lots of rave reviews in the Usenet groups and home studio recording crowd.
They've just released a new version and here are some of the features at a cost of $50 USD for non-commercial, personal use (though it's shareware, so you can try it out first for as long as you like before deciding to buy):
- Portable - supports running from USB keys or other removable media
- 64 bit audio engine
- Excellent low-latency performance
- Stunning multiprocessor performance
- Direct multi-track recording to many formats including WAV/BWF/W64, AIFF, WavPack, FLAC, OGG, and MIDI.
- Extremely flexible routing
- Fast, tool-less editing
- Supports a wide range of hardware (nearly any audio interface, outboard hardware, many control surfaces)
- Support for VST, VSTi, DX, DXi effects
- ReaPlugs: high quality 64 bit effect suite
- Tightly coded - installer is just over 3MB
Anything that will help you create the music! May the Muse be with you... and ci vedimes...