Friday, January 11, 2008

Date with a Demo #4


Well, I brought along A Beat Away From My Heart (Reach Out)* to last night's Date with a Demo, run by SAC. The panel consisted of independent artist, Ember Swift, and ole Music Publishing creative personnel, Elizabeth Spear.


I thought the panelists were fantastic - well-spoken, articulate and thoughtful in their critiques. I'd hoped that my song was played a bit more (they really only got to listen to the first two verses and the "hook" B portion of the song was cut off). That's my pet peeve with the Date with a Demo - some songs take over a minute to complete a verse/chorus and are played for that long while, for example, my song choice for last night, takes under a minute to deliver an A-A-B, and the B portion never gets heard...


Oh well, Ember liked the flow and I could see her moving her head to the beat - she specifically commented that she liked the dropped beat and the repetition of "beat away from my heart".


Elizabeth was a bit more constrained. She liked the song and noticed the obvious Elvis Presley references, but didn't feel it was of great commercial value (not modern enough I guess). That's if for "bare bones" types of songs... Next time I attend one of these, I'm going to bring out a more "fleshed out" song - with drums/bass filling it out - to see if I get a better reaction.


Ci vedimes, and may the Muse be with you...


*Click on my ReverbNation player up top to hear A Beat Away From My Heart (Reach Out)




Technorati : , , ,

No comments:

Use this banner code to link to our Lyricist product Free shipping on most orders over $49