Tuesday, January 01, 2008

"A versatie composer..."


There's an article in SOCAN's latest Words & Music magazine (Winter 2007), that I, unfortunately can't link to, as it's not available on the web. It features a multi-award winning composer, Chan Ka Nin, who is also a member of the Faculty of Music at the University of Toronto.

He's gone from rock bands to classical to electronic music, and he believes that "new music... is sound that is newly put together, rather than creating something entirely new."

As he states: "I want to communicate something to the audience... I have to find the magical idea that inspires me and, therefore, the listener. Something has to sparkle for me to use the material, be it a phrase or a simple melody or something more complex. Sparkle is what makes the music compelling."

I guess that "sparkle" is what the Muse leads us to... so may the Muse be with you...

No comments:

Use this banner code to link to our Lyricist product Free shipping on most orders over $49