Monday, March 17, 2008

Lou Reed on Technology in Music


U.S. singer-songwriter Lou Reed has criticized how technology has changed the way people listen to music, the Toronto Star reported Friday.

Talking to a South by Southwest festival audience at the Austin (Texas) Convention Center, Reed discussed digital downloading and inventions like the MP3 player and iPod.

"The trade-off is you have a lot available to you and it sounds bad. People have got to demand a higher standard," Reed said. "People who like good sound are gonna be looked at like some kind of zoo animal. It's like technology is taking us backwards."

As for his songwriting methods, the Star quoted Reed as saying not even he knows how they get written.

"People always ask, 'How do you write a song?' And I don't know. I wish I knew, because I could have done 'Walk on the Wild Side 2' and I would now own an island in the Caribbean," he said.

2 comments:

Un Coeur Music said...

Ah, Lou had a good answer there... I often realize that I have the same answer to "how do you write a song?" I really *don't* know. :-)

I usually say something like "it just writes itself" but then people think I'm keeping some secret from them and don't want to share!

-- Kathy
http://uncoeurmusic.blogspot.com/
http://www.uncoeur.com

Renz said...

Thanks Kathy... If Lou doesn't know, who does!

I'll be checking into your blog and website... You certainly have an interesting business concept...

All the best and may the Muse be with you...

Use this banner code to link to our Lyricist product Free shipping on most orders over $49