Saturday, April 21, 2007

Canadian Musician Songwriting Article - Experience/Subconscious

Just thought I'd share a little bit of Stephen Fearing's article in the March-April 2007 Canadian Musician magazine on Writing. Stephen, a solo singer-songwriter and a member of Blackie & the Rodeo Kings, wrote about "Experience" and how time and experience changes his perspective on songs he's written in the past, even those he's struggled over to get just the right/write "nuance" and meaning in a particular phrase... He puts it this way:
  • This is what keeps me coming back to songwriting. To put it a tad dramatically, it's like finding a way to have a dialog with your subconscious and I love that thrill of discovery... I trust my subconscious and I listen to my heart a lot more then I used to.
I skipped a lot of that article... (for obvious copyright reasons) but it's certainly worth a read if you get the magazine (or ask me... I might be able to send it down the line). I did enjoy the "dialog with your subconscious" imagery which captures the essence of the creative process. Keep writing...

Ci vedimes...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of a "dialog with your subconscious", it would be interesting to hear you write a song about something that makes you angry (Bruce Cockburn has done that once or twice!).

Renz said...

If I had a rocket launcher... well, Cockburn took that...

I've written some "pissed off" songs in the past (mostly relationship-based), and critical ones as well (of our society and its institutions), but probably nothing as angry as Cockburn...

Use this banner code to link to our Lyricist product Free shipping on most orders over $49